Thursday, December 15, 2005

Never Let a North Dakotan Pick the Restaurant

Well, as you know from the post below, I was recently in Chicago on business. In addition to the hot dog, I wanted to make sure I had a chance to go out and have some of the famous Chicago deep dish pizza. So, before leaving, I did some research and found Lou Malnati's. It was VERY good, and I highly recommend it. Delicious, and the kind of authenticity you can only get in Chicago. Do yourself a favor and splurge on the $.75 Buttercrust upgrade...you'll thank me.

Since that was the first night in town, I was dining alone. The second evening featured a cocktail hour at the conference, and I was able to meet up with a few people who were interested in going out to eat. It was me, a woman from NYC, a guy from Peoria, Illinois and a woman from North Dakota. We agreed to meet in the lobby and go out to dinner.

It turns out that they wanted deep dish pizza, which I wasn't thrilled about, but I figured I could get some pasta or something if I wasn't up to more pizza. So, the woman from North Dakota leads us out and we start walking in the BITTER cold (seriously...about 17 degrees and windy). We walk and walk, and she says that it's right around the corner. We turn the corner and what do we see?

A fine establishment, but I didn't need to fly half way across the continent for that. Moral of the story: Never let a North Dakotan pick the restaurant.

No comments: